Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hanging clothes outside

I also love to hang them outside. Not only does it save on the electric bill but the clothes smell so Fresh when you bring them in. I do toss the towels in the dryer for a few minutes to fluff them up when they are dry. I don't mind hanging them up and taking them down but I hate to take care of them!

Nothing beats the smell of laundry that's dried on the line. It's one of my favorite simple pleasures. I must admit that I do throw my towels in the drier to soften them up a bit.

Yeah for you Meghan! How exciting. I know some people think it's a big pain to hang out laundry but you are right, it's a super saving! I don't mind the extra work for the fresh smelling laundry and the cheaper electric bills!

I would love to get on board with this, but I just can't thanks to the bugs around here. I love the smell of hung laundry, but it totally skeeves me out when I bring it back inside and there are bugs attached to my towels and bedsheets. Darn swamp.

Well, the clothes line at our house has been there for probably 50 years, and I'm the 3rd generation to use it in the same spot. Oh, the poles and the line get replaced when needed, and now that I work full time, I appreciate it more. Do a load of laundry in the evening, throw it on the line in the morning. Do a load of laundry when I get home for lunch (work about 10 minutes from home), and put it on the line when I get home. Rainy days = no laundry days, but that's okay, too. I like the fact that when I bring the towels, shirts, and whatever back in the house, I've already folded it and just need to put it away !! Only take 10 min to hang a load, and I'm already up to feed the pigs, chickens, horses and dogs, before work,so what's another 10 minutes ? Mind you, the house is a wreck, and I hardly ever dust.....

I haven't used a dryer in over 20 yrs. I've always had them, just not used them. My roommates use the one at the house in California. The one at the farm in MO is in the storage trailer (the ex insisted that I buy it... wasn't his money!) Both places I use the clothes line.
    When I was working 3 jobs w/ 2 kids... I strung one outside my apartment window. The city doesn't like it, the inspectors have told me to take it down. But they can't come up w/ a code to cite me w/ for it, so it stays. In MO, I hang them Winter or not. They freeze dry. It surprised me the first time, I had to get something to wear & I figured I'd have to hang it in the house. All the clothes were dry, real cold, but dry. If it rains... they just get an extra rinsing before they dry & it takes a little longer! If your clothes/towels are scratchy, it means they have residual detergent in them. Try using a cup of white vinegar as a fabric softener, it'll take the residue out & they'll be more absorbent as well. My towels are soft, fluffy & smell good too!

I grew up with the dryer in the home but we almost always used the lines if it was a good day. Its a quick and simple chore for kids to learn and it smells awesome.

I live in a small rural town, and we hang our clothes out on nice days. Of course in the winter, we use the dryer.

We use the clothes line as well but it's more of a have to for right now. We have a dryer but the place where we need to install it is 'under construction' so to speak. Still, it's a nice chore for the kids and I will probably continue hanging them out (at least most of the items) even after the dryer is set up.

I have grown up with this for a good bit and if it were not for the clothes freezing in the winter I am sure I would try then too. You know how in the winter it smells so clear, clean and new? I love that smell!