Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody dowse for their well?

Anybody dowse for their well?

I remember my dad dowsing our land to find a good spot to dig a well. He let me try and it seems I have the "gift" as well, whatever it is. I've only done it three times but I've found the right spot for water every time. Does anyone still practice this old art?

Does anyone still practice this old art?
    Yes, but some believe in it and others do not.

I challenge you to find a spot that is NOT a good spot to dig a well. Since there is water under the ground everywhere you drill in the two States that I have lived and Drilled in. Dowsing is an interesting topic and will bring up lots of controversy from both sides of the fence. But you will find that many professional Well Drillers have a very low respect for it.

I'm curious; what method do you use? This is another topic that brings up many different answers.

Don't get me wrong on this, but even though I don't believe in Dowsing, I do use the coat hangers to find buried pipes. This is not a trick or a hoax, it is simply magnetism and it works well.

I do use the coat hangers to find buried pipes. This is not a trick or a hoax, it is simply magnetism and it works well.
    I assume you are talking about metal pipes then. A few years ago we needed to find a little 4" PVC water main to put in a new meter and service. There was a guy who had come to mark the underground phone line and he said he could use two pieces of copper rod to find that water main. So he marked where he was sure it was. I found it on the other side of the borrow ditch 10-15' from where he was "sure" it was.

The fact that they were copper may have been the problem. Metal coat hangers are mild steel and do react to a magnetic field when held loosely in your hands. I have found plastic and concrete piping with them.

I have a Schoenstadt Magnetic locator that is used by Surveyors to find property pins etc. I use it to find buried wells. It will also find electric wires if there is an amp draw in the wires. It will also find metal pipe and tell you where each joint is. I don't understand this, but each piece of pipe has it's own North and South pole even though it's coupled to another pipe with a metal coupling.

Hi there goodgolly. I was just wondering what you use to dowse with? I've known people who use willow branches to dowse with and I was just curious if you do as well. If so, how successful are you at using them?

A very good friend of mine (a Well Driller) put on a little show for myself and his two sons years ago. He cut a branch from a tree. I can't remember what kind of tree now, but we don't have Willow in Florida that I'm aware of. He used his jack knife to get a nice green branch, cut it so the branch resembled a "Y". He put one of the tops of the branch in each hand with his fingers pointing up, elbows pointing down. He walked around until the branch started shaking (or he did) then finally the bark begin to twist off in his hands while the point of the "Y" started to point down. If you watched carefully you could see him turning his hands inward causing the bark to twist and the branch to point down.

If you weren't looking carefully, you would most certainly become a believer.

Regardless of whether it is real or not I have always wanted to see this being done. I think it is interesting. I know they use willow branches most often because it is considered a water tree.

Cut yourself a Willow Branch and become a star. You can do just as good as someone who calls themselves a Dowser. You can even twist on the branch and make it look real.

Since there is water underneath you practically everywhere you go, you can't be proven wrong.

I have friends in Michigan who use dowsers. They use a willow branch and it not only finds the water, but the number of times it bounces, once you're over the spot, indicates how deep the water is. We live here in the southeast and although water is underground, there are places where you have to dig, and dig, and dig. There's a big difference between digging 45 feet and 7.