Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody dowse for their well?

I have friends in Michigan who use dowsers. They use a willow branch and it not only finds the water, but the number of times it bounces, once you're over the spot, indicates how deep the water is. We live here in the southeast and although water is underground, there are places where you have to dig, and dig, and dig. There's a big difference between digging 45 feet and 7.
    If you say so. I drilled hundreds of wells in SE Michigan and trust me, a willow branch wouldn't have helped anything. If you honestly believe that there are water veins that vary as much as 38 feet in depth in someones back yard, I want some of that stuff your smoking!

My wife and her grandfather could both dowse with branches, don't remember what type though but I bgelieve it was cherry. He found a spot with good pull at his new house and dug the well by hand. At 13' he hit good water. The well had ample flow until some deep wells were drilled in the area and it became less dependable. I climbed down on a ladder several times and cleaned it out to restore flow through the stone wall. My uncle used a pair of brazing rods to dowse.