Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building furniture

Hybrid View

Building furniture

Any wood working people here? My dad is helping me to make a bookshelf for my little girls room and it is so much fun! I can't wait to try and build some more stuff soon.

I can build basic things like shelves and bookcases and such. My grandpa was a great wood craftsmen and he inspired me. I start many projects and don't seem to finish them.

I've been trying to make chairs from branches lately. I haven't been able to finish one yet because I've been busy, but I have some branches already cut and waiting to be put together.

I have seen some pictures of chairs made from branches and I would love to have a couple for my rose garden. I have a small rose garden with a trellis archway and wooden bench. I would love to get a couple chairs and, perhaps, a matching bench. I will have to keep my eyes open. My husband is not a woodworker.

Wood turning

The first cabinets I ever made were chronicled in the home building section but for some reason since the Forum software was changed I can't see the pictures. Is it just me or are all those pictures gone? IF they are gone there is little reason to view that thread. Oh well, it used to get lots of action with over1000 posts and was about 60 pages long.

I recently got a Harbor Freight wood lathe and took 1 1/2 days of lathe instruction (a day of beginners lathe use and a half day of bowl making using a lathe.)

I would have liked to show pix of the shelves suspended by custom brackets from a 12:12 pitch sloped ceiling but... All the pix seem to have evaporated from this site:

http://www.countrybynet.com/forums/h...farmhouse.html

So I'll try to post pix of some of the wood I turned with the HF lathe.

I too want to build some "stick" furniture, bed frames and posts and the like.

The first bowl is native black walnut and is about 10 inches across.
    Next is a black walnut candle holder abot 6 inches OD and 8 inches high.
    The bud vase was my class project at the end of the day of beginner's lathe class.
    Then a red oak bowl
    then a wooden dish on a pedestal above a base.
    Last is a big mallet for use with a chisel, a bowl, (both oak from a tree that fell in last winter's ice storm and blizzard)
    and a little wooden cup or whatever (Q-tip or match holder or...)

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Yet more wood projects...

The pool table is in the walkout basement. Behind the pool table you can see the cue rack I made of native ERC (Eastern Red Cedar) the aromatic cedar of cedar chests. The wainscot is bark-on cedar slabs, the stuff you saw off the sides of raw logs to begin to make boards and the chair rail is also ERC but planed smooth.

Then there is a pair of cedar candle holders.
    Next is the bowl I made in the half day bowl class.
    Next is a larger wood working project I designed but got considerable help building, pictured here in the winter (Back of the house.) The lower level is the walk-out basement, the mid level is at grade level and then there is an upstairs.

Here is a picture of the guest room in the lower level. I did a smoothly planed cedar wainscot in that room and much narrower chair rail (not intended to hold bricabrac as the one behind the pool table in a previous picture. The cedar boards on the walls are to facilitate hanging pictures since the walls are steel reinforced concrete and changing which pix to hang where is a pain when dealing with concrete walls otherwise.

And the last picture is of the light fixture I built of cedar and installed directly above the center of the pool table. It has 8 each 4 ft fluorescent tubes. I rewired the fixtures so that yo can have 1/2 of the lamps on or all of them. When you have 1/2 lit it is one "string" on each side to give balanced illumination.

Oh, the big black ugly things on the wall to each side of the guest room window are storm shutters, solid sheet steel on HD piano hinges with 5/8 inch steel hinge pins. They overlap when closed and fasten together with large bolts welded to one side into holes on the other side using hex nuts with big washers. This is to stop flying debris should there be a tornado. The room's walls and ceiling are steel reinforced concrete, 14 inches overhead and 12 inches where the window is (note the depth of the window sill.) The room has a HD FEMA approved steel storm door with 3 deadbolts. The guest room is a very very safe room as is the master bedroom above on the next level up.

Interesting phenomenon, Two houses back we lived in 800 sq ft then on our sailboat for 9 years and then in a little under 1500 sq ft for decades and now this thing. This will be the last house for me, there is no way I could continue the trend...

Pat

Nice place, Pat. Been through the 800 sq. ft phase, but ran out of steam, er, money at the 1500 sq. foot plateau. It's all a retired ex state employee can take care of any way. Some nice woodworking, too. I'm in the process of building a table for my Big Green Egg out of Oklahoma Cedar; maybe when I've been around here for awhile I'll figure out how to post some pics, assuming anyone might be interested.

Dennis.

All over the USA and plan overseas when I retire
    Those are awesome pictures! I one dated someone who's mom and dad were all about the wood working, I tried myself but I do not have the nack for it. Shelves sure, anything else is past my skill level.

I love the wainscot you did in the basement, Pat. I'm all about anything rustic looking like that.

Personally, I do absolutely nothing creative with wood. I can be directed to make something, but I don't have the creativity level to come up with original ideas. That's what my husband is for I'm pretty excited because this fall he is building us new coffee and end tables and the plans he has drawn up look awesome. My part in the woodworking process is to keep him company and bring him a beer when he needs one, lol.

I'm a sucker for a "bargain" so when I saw Kitchen Maid brand drawer kits on the closeout bench at Lowe's I bought them all. They were marked down 75% off of the regular price and I saved over $800 buying them. They were a mix of half dark cherry and half white. I installed the cherry ones into the wall of the little secondary kitchen in the basement (the one to support walkout basement patio cookouts.) The wall I selected is the triangular one under the staircase. This lets me use the space under the stairs with greater convenience. I installed the white ones on the other side of the stair case.