Thread: almost tame fox!

almost tame fox!

We have a fox that has been visiting our back porch the past couple weeks, eating our cat food. He doesn't seem scared even when we open the door. Should I be concerned? How do I get rid of him without hurting him?

Wow, I have never had a situation like that. I have only see a fox from afar. Has he shown any type of aggression to you or your pets other than not being scared when you open the door? You could probably call Animal Control if he continues to visit, though I'm not sure what they will do.

Two things you must always keep in mind as long as the fox hangs around: 1) It is a wild animal; 2) Foxes are one of the animals most affected by Rabies.
    AbO 2012

" how do I get rid of him/" STOP feeding him.

Baited live trap... you can purchase at any tractor supple store (cheapest price) or co op or hardware store. Maybe even borrow one from a neighbor ?

We've lived in the same house for 13 years. Semi-rural but getting a little crowded. When we moved here there wasn't much wildlife but new housing is putting the squeeze on the critters and we're seeing more and more in our back yard. A pair of foxes last Thanksgiving, an occasional black bear, deer fairly often. No coyotes but they've been seen not too far away. Because we've never had a problem with any of them most of us aren't real careful with our garbage. However, it's getting common to find at least one garbage can on its side and the bags torn out.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbrown View Post
    " how do I get rid of him/" STOP feeding him.
    X2. It's the easy food you're providing him that's enticing him to stay.
    Ian M.
    Transferred to Nova Scotia, retired at the end of June 2009!!! And bought a tractor!!!

I would call someone that has experience in trapping wild animals. Try to look in the phone book and see if you can find one that will trap him then release him somewhere else. I would be concerned especially if you have cats about the fox attacking my animals.

This is the first time that I have ever heard of a fox. In some placed you can go pick up the trap and set it but once you catch something you are supposed to call the city/county to come pick up the trap. You may want to look up your laws.