Thread: Grilling time

Grilling time

It's finally time to drag the grill back out and get cooking! I love being able to cook on the grill all summer while the weather is nice. We grill nearly every weekend during the summer.

I love this time of year for grilling too. We usually cook all of our meat for the week on the grill during the weekend to keep from heating up the house so much.

Not that I am a fanatic but...Our backyard patio is a covered porch for the walk-out basement (covered by porch above on main floor) and has an extended paved area not covered. I can grill during a rain or snow if the wind is not so hard and from such a direction that it blows up under the porch overhead and hits me or the grill. I finally bit the bullet and bought a propane grill. Way less hassle than charcoal. There is a little cast iron container to put in wood chips to get "THAT" irreplaceable flavor. I plumbed the grill to our propane supply so I don't need to hassle with the bottles and don't run out during a grilling session since we have 2 each 1000 gal tanks which we fill every 2-3 years. When I designed the house I designed it with a secondary kitchen in the basement to support backyard cooking. So far I have a refrigerator and a small chest freezer. I haven't built/installed the cabinets, counter tops, and the like. I put in an apartment sized 4 burner gas range with oven at its propane connection but haven't actually connected it yet. I want to build a range hood and get that going first. Hopefully this "little" basement secondary kitchen will eliminate a jillion trips up and down the stairs to THE KITCHEN.

Now you've done it... I won't be able to get grilling out of my head now! I will undoubtedly have to grill something TODAY.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

We gave our daughter our big 3 burner propane grill and bought a very small one since nearly all our grilling is just for the two of us now. And of course we also have the propane smoker. And they're both in the breezeway between the back door and my shop building, so like Pat, we can use them in almost any weather; too much wind being the exception.

My grill is not covered, but I still cook out in the rain and even in the winter months. I love grilled food. Everything seems to taste better on the grill. I try to do my whole meal on the grill sometimes.

Wow Pat! I would love to have something like that! We typically grill year round as well just because we like to do it so much. We are the crazy people out there with a flashlight at 3 am flipping a pork loin cause somebody thought it would be a good idea to fire up the grill at midnight!

I love grilling out! My favorite is steak kabobs. I love to marinade steak, onions, peppers, and mushrooms for kabobs. Just thinking about it makes me hungry. What is everyone's favorite grilling recipe?

My grill finally died last year so we're out looking for a new one. I do some cooking over a wood fire but for weeknights, a gas grill is so convenient. I'm thinking of getting a Weber as they have a really good reputation for quality and durability. What kind do you diehard grillers recommend?

The grill is a frazzled housewife's best friend. No kitchen mess for me as hubby likes to run the grill.....men and fire....and hardly any dirty dishes! Barbecued chicken and baby back ribs = yum, yum and more yum!