Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Icecream

Homemade Icecream

It's getting that time for ice cream on hot summer days. I love to make homemade ice cream. Does anyone have any good homemade ice cream recipes? I'd love to have some new ones to try this summer.

I have never made homemade ice cream but boy, I love it. My grandpa used to make the absolutely most divine peach ice cream when I was growing up. We would so beg for that when we went over there in the summer. Oh, man...I can almost taste it now.

My dad used to always make peanut butter ice cream. It used to be my favorite. You can choose to add real nuts to it or not, I've even thought of adding chocolate chips to make it Reese's ice cream. I don't remember how he used to make it, but this recipe I found looks pretty similar to what he made:

Homemade Peanut Butter Ice Cream Recipe

The only time I actually made homemade ice cream was in a science class in high school and I don't remember it tasting very good. I would like to try some homemade ice cream made by somebody who actually knows how to make it because I'm sure it actually tastes good!

As a kid home made ice cream probably tasted better due to the anticipation that developed during the long hand cranking session to make it. Quite a ritual with the ice chunked from a 50 lb block with an ice pick and liberally covered in rock salt. Fresh cream, tree ripened peaches, apricots, REAL vanilla from the Watkins products door to door guy or whatever... Oh yeah, baby.

Now I have some electric makers. The height of convenience (laziness) is one that has an element that you store in the freezer and use in place of ice and salt. This machine uses no ice or salt and our specific unit only makes enough for two big servings but enough for the wife and me. It is sooooooo convenient, if not traditional. IT is nearly as convenient as store bought ice cream in the freezer BUT... you get to control the ingredients and that is a super duper plus factor for sure.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I grew up in the days of making the ice cream like Pat; chipping ice off a big block, hand cranking, etc. And now we don't often make homemade ice cream, but still occasionally, but it's certainly differnt. Since we have a Kitchenaid mixer, one of our daughters gave me the ice cream making "attachment". It's a double walled bowl with a liquid in between and you have to put it in the freezer overnight so it's good and cold, then make the ice cream in that. I bought Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert cookbook which has some real simple recipes. I was a bit disappointed in the book because all the recipes are nearly the same. But anyway I occasionally make some pretty good fresh peach ice cream.

That's really neat, I didn't know they had ice cream makers like that. So you just stick it in the freezer instead of having to fool with the salt and ice? That is extremely convenient. Where can you get one? Are they very expensive?

They're kind of expensive, in my opinion. Of course, first you must have a KitchenAid stand mixer, and then get the ice cream maker which is that special bowl and the mixer paddle. I see that Bed, Bath and Beyond has the ice cream maker priced at $79.99 now at KitchenAid® Ice Cream Maker Bowl Attachment - Bed Bath & Beyond Of course you aren't making but a couple of quarts at a time, but it does work and is pretty quick and easy. And you can probably find that attachment about $20 cheaper other places, such as Amazon.

All over the USA and plan overseas when I retire
    This sounds so good with as humid as its been here. We had to go out yesterday and besides rain which was bad enough then it was nasty outside. If we could have sat inside and just had some ice cream I am sure the day would have been better.

Ummm....I can taste it now. I remember as a kid taking turns cranking the ice cream and asking, "Is it ready yet?" Strawberry or Strawberry with banana are my favorite summertime flavors.