Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homemade Icecream

I've never had homemade ice cream nor have I ever made it. It sounds like fun though to get the kids together to make some. Is it real hard to make? I would love to get some recipes to make with the kids this summer.

I learned how to make homemade ice cream in one of my home ec classes in high school. It is really easy to make and does not even require an actual ice cream maker. I remember we mixed whipping cream, milk, sugar, vanilla, and whatever flavor we wanted it to be (oreo cookies, chocolate syrup, fresh strawberries, etc.) and then put it in the freezer for a few hours. It was so creamy and delicious and much better than any store bought ice cream. I will try to find the exact recipe and share it here with you all.

The ice cream I've made the last couple of years is the "Fresh Georgia Peach" recipe from Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book.

2 Cups finely chopped ripe peaches, peeled if you prefer
    1 1/2 Cup Sugar
    Juice of half a lemon
    2 Large eggs
    2 Cups heavy or whipping cream
    1 Cup Milk

1. Combine the peaches, 1/2 cup of the sugar, and the lemon juice in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes.

2. Remove the peaches from the refrigerator, drain the juice into another bowl and return the peaches to the refrigerator.

3. Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy; 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar a little at a time, continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend. Add the peach juice and blend.

4. Transfer the mixture to an ice cream freezer and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.

5. After the ice cream stiffens (about 2 minutes before it is done) add the peaches, then continue freezing until the ice cream is ready.

I was a little disappointed in Ben & Jerry's book because, while it has lots of recipes, they nearly all use the same "Sweet Cream Base" and just add a few flavorings. That base is nothing more than:

2 Large Eggs
    3/4 Cup Sugar
    2 Cups heavy or whipping cream
    1 Cup milk

However, it is pretty tasty.

Thanks for the link to that, Bird. It does seem a little expensive, but I bet it is so much easier to use. I think it's finally decided to stay warm here, so we have pulled out the grill and naturally the homemade ice cream should follow.