Thread: Squirrels

Squirrels

It might be a little strange, but squirrels are my favorite type of wildlife to see outside my house. They aren't threatening like other animals and they are cute. It is so nice to live somewhere where animals can come and go. In other places I've lived it was unheard of to see any type of wildlife right outside your house.

I like watching the squirrels that come around and have gotten lots of cute pictures of them. The only thing I don't like is the amount of food they eat. I will put some bird food out in the morning and by the evening it is gone! I am thinking of getting some of those dried corn cobs to put out for them.

Earlier this week I found one wrestling with the bird feeder. I've got a bird feeder on the window by the porch so my girls and I can get a nice view of the birds. This squirrel has pretty much become a regular. To keep him off the feeder I've been setting out peanuts in the shells for him. Now he shows up several times a day. He is darn cute though.

I don't even mind the amount of birdseed the squirrels eat. What I do mind is the fact that the birds scratch so much out on the ground. Both the birds and the squirrels eat some of that on the ground, but not enough; too much waste.

Last week I saw these two little squirrels playing. They must have been pretty young. One ran up the tree and the other chased him. The first one crossed the fork and proceeded to hang upside down from the tree while the other kept running up looking for him. The hanging one was only holding on with his back paws and was just dangling. It was so cute.