Thread: Invisible fence

Invisible fence

I have a 2 year old Catahoula who roams free and listens for the most part, but she has her moments when I just can't get her back to the house and it drives me nuts. I was thinking about getting an invisible fence for her, but it might just break her heart if she didn't have the run of the property when we're out there. Have you ever used an invisible fence to contain your dog? Did it drive them mad?

Yes, I had one. If you have any thoughts about getting one, be sure you know that you must train the (what is a Catahoula) critter with a leash which takes a bit of time and patience. You must teach them where the wire is, by putting flags in front of it, having the collar on so it makes the beeping sound to alert them they are getting close.

Once the "critter" learn's what happens if they get to close to the wire and where it is, they will stay within it's perimeter. I have seen Rottweilers that wouldn't chase a Cat through the wire for fear of getting zapped.

You can also put the wire anywhere you like. You can encapsulate your entire yard if you like.

We have an invisible fence and it is throughout our whole property (6 acres of it). Our dog can go anywhere on the property and I love it. I know she isn't out in the neighbors or in the road. It was a bit of a pain to train her but once she got it it's been great! Good luck! and have a lot of patience.

We must have done something wrong. Our McKenzie Sheppard (Sheppard and timber wolf) became an expert in taking the collar off and burying it. We watched him one time, take the nails on the insides of his paws and scratch it up. He laid down his ears and continued until the collar was over them and then off. We only tried it three times, he always got out.

We have invisible fencing and it works great. Of course you have to really train your dog well when you first get it. They will get shocked but it won't hurt them (that much). There are flags to put up along the edge of the fence line.