Thread: Snakes

Snakes

How in the world can you get rid of snakes? They are everywhere lately. We have a crick at the back of our property and now we have snakes. You can walk outside on any really hot day and see a couple of them. I hate snakes!

Hopefully they aren't poisonous. If they are the harmless variety. I would leave them alone. They do eat mice and other varmints and would probably much rather run from you than chase you.

Here in Michigan, we've only got one dangerous snake (small rattler) and I've never even seen one. I kind of suspect that NY is the same. I have seen an increase in the typical harmless garter snake this Spring as I saw about three or four mowing a field and planting trees this past weekend. In years past, I had seen NONE in the same area. I had to laugh at one that was trying desperately to stay ahead of the mower and finally figured out that I was going to hold my course and decided to zag out of the way into the taller grass. LOL.

I kind of agree with Speedbump, though, and unless the eco-system gets completely out of whack on my property I'm just going to leave them alone. I tend to think their natural predators will keep the population in check.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont
    I donj't know where you live in NY, Phena, but I live in eastern upstate NY, and we only have one poisonous snake in the state, and it's not too common in most places. Snakes are extremely beneficial, in that they control rodents. I know on my farm, we welcome every snake we can, as they help our cats control the rodents that our animal feed attacts. Leave the snakes alone, they're actually helping you.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

The majority of snakes we see are harmless garter or grass snakes. I leave them alone. The best way to keep snakes off of your property is to have a bunch of cats. Cats are very good at keeping snakes at a minimum but I would rather have the smaller non-poisonous snakes around to keep the rodents in check.

We have a lot of Red Tail Hawks. They are great snake killers too. I see them flying over with a snake in their beaks now and then. One buzzed the neighbors head with a snake in his beak and damned near scared him to death. "Wish I'de of seen that"

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    We have a lot of Red Tail Hawks. They are great snake killers too. I see them flying over with a snake in their beaks now and then. One buzzed the neighbors head with a snake in his beak and damned near scared him to death. "Wish I'de of seen that"
    I do too!! LOL I've gotten quite used to taking the non-venomous variety from my cat and letting them go in the weeds around our property. I would rather have the little ones around than the larger ones. I also LOVE my black rat snakes. They EAT venomous snakes. I would keep one as an outdoor pet if I could!!

King snakes will eat other snakes and help you keep away the bad ones. I raise snakes and so I know that first hand. Hawks and other Birds eat them as well. I think I saw some type of spray or powder you put down in the local feed store once too. I have seen my husband move rattle snakes and copper heads out of the road before, but when they are in the yard where they are a danger to my kids or pets he will get his gun and take care of them that way.