Thread: Teaching Your Child a Trade

Teaching Your Child a Trade

My niece homeschools all 3 of her children. She infiltrates various things in their home schooling courses such as woodworking, sewing, gardening, and baking. I think this is a wonderful thing for a parent to do because many of these things are not taught in regular public elementary schools. Have any of you tried this?

That is a pretty neat idea. My daughter makes wood crafts with me. She also can sew (my mom taught her that). We all garden together and she loves to bake. She is going to be a pastry chef when she graduates. I think she is well rounded in trades!

My grandfather made furniture by hand. He taught my father. My father taught me and now I am teaching my son. My youngest son is learning animal husbandry with his mother who is also the local vet.

My mother taught me to sew and I've taught my girls. I only sewed for my family but I have a daughter who makes designer nurses uniforms and scrubs. My daughter in law, whom we taught to cook, now sells artisan breads at the local farmer's market. My husband ran a construction sub-contracting business for years. Now our boys work in some area of construction.

If you learn how to make jerky, please post. I love it but do not know which meats are best or how to do the seasoning and storage.

I am trying to learn many of these skills myself and if I become successful at them I will certainly pass those skills and traditions down to my children. There is so much that has been lost with technology I think we should all try and get at least a little bit of it back.

I think all young people should know how to do something with their hands - it just produces such a sense of accomplishment. Even if you can't teach the child yourself, try hard to find someone who can teach them. I'm like you ellie, I'm learning skills myself but as I learn and find others who already know, I connect it into the life of my children.