Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosquitoes

Mosquitoes

'Tis the season - the mosquitoes are out by the gazillions already and I'm already sick of them. I was looking in the hunting section of Academy the other day and they have this little battery powered contraption that is supposed to keep mosquitoes away from a 10x10 area. That would be fine because all I want is to be able to sit outside in the evenings. Has anybody ever seen these and do you know if they work? I can't remember the name of it, but it was about $25 to $30. Small price to pay to keep my skin and my sanity intact.

Battery operated Mosquito Repellents work almost as good as Magnetic Water Softeners. What does work well though is Maxi DEET.

Mosguitos????? Ahh the benifit of living at over 5000ft MSL.

I would love to have something to keep the mosquitoes at bay too. They are terrible in the Summer here! One year my then 6 yr old son was playing in the pool and we didn't even realize he was also getting mosquito bites all over his back in the process. We haven't had a pool set up since then. So, it would be wonderful to find something to keep the bugs away so we can swim again.

I've seen those things too and I don't think they work well. I don't think anything really keeps them away! We live around water and I swear we breed them here. It's crazy! I wore an off thing last year- something new that they had. It didn't work too well!

The reason I was looking for something non-chemical is because I have an allergy to the heavy duty bug sprays and the reaction sometimes comes in the form of seizures. Not good, obviously. I've tried the "natural" ones, but they're not strong enough to battle the mosquitoes in Louisiana swamp lands. I'm not sure anything is strong enough for that, but I'm going to keep searching.

I've never tried one of those that you are talking about. I've always just used bug spray, though it is sticky, smelly, and bothersome. At times I'm not even sure it was working.

Does anyone know of any homemade bug sprays that work well? It would be great to have a "green" solution.

The only thing that I could recommend is planting Lemon Balm and Lemon Grass around the area. The citronella torches are supposed to work really well too and I think you can refill them when it is gone.

There is a type of clip on repellent that you can get that would help to keep them at bay. You just clip it to your clothing or belt and it's not necessary to come in contact with the chemicals. I think I saw them at the local big box store.

I just thought of what my wife uses to get rid of them. For some reason they love to bite her. I tell her it's because she's so sweet-:P. She uses diluted Skin So Soft bath oil from Avon and it really seems to do the trick. It also helps to moisturize her skin.