Thread: My Dog Is Driving Me Crazy

My Dog Is Driving Me Crazy

I have a husky, he is about 2 years old and every time someone comes over he just won't leave them alone. He jumps on them and just messes with them in general. Why does he do this and what can I do to stop it?

The trick with jumping is to not give him any attention when he does it, not even to push him away. As soon as you or anybody else touches him it reinforces the behavior. Does he jump on you too? If so, when he does, don't look at him or touch him or acknowledge him in any way. Once he has four on the floor again then you should give him lots of attention. Eventually he should figure out that he will get more attention by keeping his paws on the ground.

My guess is that this dog has never even had the the basic training that all dogs need to have. has been taught sit, lay, stay, come, leave, and down.?

Have you seen the show on Animal Planet called "It's me or the dog"? They have a lot of dogs that seem to have the same problem. The trainer will usually put a leash on the dog and have someone come in the house, then if the dog jumps on them or does something it shouldn't, she will say "No" or make another short, sharp noise to get the dog's attention and let it know it was wrong, then will immediately lead the dog out of the room. Once it is calm she returns it and tries again. Repeat until the dog gets the point and stays calm, then you give the dog attention and praise when it is calm and behaves. It takes patience but should work.

I agree with jimbrown. Evidently you're not giving your dog the message that his behavior is not ok. I'm not a professional dog trainer but in the 35 yrs I've owned dogs, I've been able to ensure they have good manners. Others may disagree, but I subscribe to the "spare the rod, spoil the child" philosophy, including pets. A sharp hand smack to the behind does wonders. I've never used a stick, paddle or newspaper. I want them to know that its ME giving the punishment, not some inatimate object. As an example, my daughter's dogs are allowed to sleep with her and the first time they visited our house, they jumped on my bed. I yelled and smacked them both. That was years ago. They've never gotten on my bed since. They also get lots of TLC from my wife and I. Haven't smacked them in a while but when I raise my voice, they both stop and LISTEN!

What a great question, I just think some dogs just jump and are pains in the butt! You have to keep training your dog so that he knows that he cannot jump, it's not the right thing to do. Don't let him jump on you or anyone in the family either and hopefully he will get the idea.

I have tried the smacking him, the problem is he has these sharp nails and always ends up scratching me when he does it to me. He listens a lot better to my husband for some reason, I have tried making my voice sharp and lower but that isn't working either. Thank you for all the suggestions I will try some more.