Thread: Aerobic septic system

Aerobic septic system

We bought a house about 2 years ago that has an aerobic septic system. Neither my husband nor myself has ever had one of these before so we don't know much about it. Our neighbors were trying to convince us to get rid of it without any sort of good explanation, but other than having the replace the sprinkler heads every so often it hasn't given us any trouble. Is there something about aerobic systems that make them undesirable versus a standard system?

I don't know what part of the world you are in, but in Texas, the law requires that you have a maintenance contract with a licensed company to check the system periodically (I think it was 3 times a year). We had one installed in 1997 but sold that property in 2002. The original installation included the first 2 years warranty and maintenance. After that I paid $200 a year. Of course, I also bought the chlorine tablets that I checked on once a month. And when the maintenance guy would come, he'd clean the filter in the aeration tank. It would have actually been easy for me to do all the maintenance myself, but at least in my county, they did enforce the law requiring a license company to do it. As far as I'm concerned, the aerobic system is superior to the old anaerobic systems.

Huh, that's interesting, Bird. I live in Louisiana and we aren't required to do any maintenance. I can see why that would be a good law, but then again, around here some people still pump their septics into ditches. Totally disgusting in my opinion. Anyway, that's good to know that you think it's a good system. Maybe my neighbors are just jealous, lol.