Thread: Hot Spots

Hot Spots

I have a little Chihuahua mix that is having a really hard time with hot spots. We keep her flea free but she is still having them. They remove huge sections of fur when they occur and she is obviously in a lot of discomfort from them. Is there an option to getting the steroid shots?

I have always heard that tea tree oil is good for hot spots on dogs. Tea tree oil is a natural anti-fungal and the dog won't lick the spot if you apply it. You just apply it with a cotton ball.

Our last dog (Corgi) also got these hot spots. Our vet said to give her baths with Selsun Blue it would help with the itching and make her feel good. I'm not sure if it helps with all hot spots or just dry skin. Try to keep your dog from rolling on the ground too.

I just wanted to come back and tell you all I found a tea tree oil based product on 1800PetMeds that is fantastic. It's called "Miracle Mist Skin Spray" and I got some for my little one. She doesn't like the smell but it sure does work for her. I've even used it on me for various scraps and scratches with good success. Remember when we all used to use "horse linament" for all aches and pains?

Listerine- plain old brown mouth was will do the same thing cheaper

I'm glad that it worked for your dog. And , YES, I can remenber when we used Horse Linament for sore knees, ankles, back etc. When I was a child and would get a sprained ankle, I dare not tell my Dad b/c he would put that linament on me and it would Burn something fierce and also stink. All the community knew when you had an achy joint b/c they could smell the linament !!! But it Worked!! Boy, those were surely the Good Ole Days. I haven't thought about that Horse Linament in years. Thanks for the Memories !! Belah