Thread: New Pool?

New Pool?

I'm thinking of putting in a pool in our backyard with a deck around it. I'm not sure how expensive or difficult it will be though. Has anyone done this lately that could give me some tips? I'd like a bigger pool that will be sure to last for a while too.

You want to do this yourself?

You must realize that to build a pool; you must be an electrician, a plumber, a concrete contractor, a marcite applicator (takes expensive equipment) a tile installer, grouting expert and pump and filter expert.

If your looking to have it done by a pool contractor, please do your homework. Talk to other people that have had contractors do theirs and try to find a good one that way.

We had a pool put in our back yard in 1978; sold the house in 1989 and way back then I figured after I paid for the pool, the maintenance (chemicals, water, electricity, etc.) only cost me about $50 a month, if you didn't count my time and work for anything. I can't really said I'm sorry I did it, because our daughters learned to be very good swimmers, but I sure would NEVER have a pool again.

To contract out the standard in-ground backyard pool up here ranges between $25,000-$30,000. I don't have one, but would love to.
    Ian M.
    Transferred to Nova Scotia, retired at the end of June 2009!!! And bought a tractor!!!

You don't need all those people to help you get a pool in the backyard. I'm guessing you already have a pool since you said Bigger. I bet you already have a lot of the stuff you would need (wiring, etc.). Do you have any family that can help with the other parts? I know here in NY when you buy a pool you can pay to get it installed. Right now we checked with an electrician about the cost for the ground wires, etc to the pool and he said the going rate if $1500.

Hmmmm are we talking about an above ground pool here? Makes a heck of a lot of difference.

Hmmmm are we talking about an above ground pool here? Makes a heck of a lot of difference.
    I'll second that.

I was thinking maybe above ground, as I'm assuming there are much cheaper options with that choice. As well as being much easier to put in. I've seen some pools at Walmart but I'm not sure how durable they are. Are they worth the money?

I wouldn't have an above ground pool. And I am sure I wouldn't buy one from Walmart.

We work on Pool Pumps and motors. Above ground pumps come in from brand new in three years. 80% of them are pronounced dead at that time. In ground pumps come in after 7 years and get a new set of ball bearings and they are good for 7 more years. As for the pool itself, there is no comparison.