Thread: Reusing potting soil

Reusing potting soil

A few months ago I planted herb seeds in some big pots in my kitchen. They were doing great, but I was recently away for three weeks and my neighbor, who was supposed to be watering them, killed them. I'm going to start from seeds again in the same pots, but I'm wondering if I can reuse that soil or do I need to go buy new soil?

I always reuse potting soil from year to year and then add more when it's needed. It's too bad that she didn't water them! Sorry you have to start all over!! It stinks! Good luck with them this time. Our garden is in and ready to grow!

Thanks, Phena30. I'm going to reuse that soil. It's not like it was that old or like the plants died from disease, bugs, etc. I am so aggravated about this. These herbs were so big and healthy when I left that I was able to use them in cooking and, even after cutting some off, they were still very bushy. These people are obviously not to be trusted with plants from here on out.

I hope you didn't pay her for taking care of things for you. I hate when something like that happens and unfortunately, I've been guilty of doing my own that way. As far as using the soil, I reuse mine from year to year but I do take it out and mix it with more and add a slow release pelleted fertilizer to it just for the boost.