Thread: Sassafras Root Beer

Sassafras Root Beer

Has anyone ever made homemade sassafras root beer? As a child, I remember my aunt used to make it. I think it's pretty easy, I just don't know remember all the details.

Always be sure you have the right tree first, one can never be too safe...,,,,,,,It can be made either with fresh or dried roots. Dig up a few roots wash them well with cold water and boil. A root about 3-4 inches long and the size around of average persons little finger is big enough to make a small pot of the tea/ root beer. Sweeten to taste. I have never made a large batch. If I wanted a lot at one time I would just add a lot of roots boil and use as concentrate to make more just like regular tea. You may have to experiment to get the concentration and taste you like. My grandmother preferred drying the roots in the sun then using them. She felt the dry roots made better tasting tea/root beer.

Thanks Rebelmedic, I do enjoy sassafras tea too, but I was really wanting to make the root beer. I think we put yeast in a jug with the sweetened tea and then we bottled them. The yeast consumes some of the sugar and creates the carbonation. I just don't know the exact procedure.