I while back I made a post about utilizing tires in order to effectively controlling water erosion
http://www.countrybynet.com/forums/o...-wall-tip.html

Here is my update on what I found........

I'm sure everyone has heard about the 1000 yr flood that has effected the Nashville area. I was luckier than most, but not without being effected as well. My home is fine, although I had to replace a vent boot flashing that had allowed water to blow "UP" under it (cheap rubber base that lifted) and water ran down the tube and made a very small stain on one ceiling in the corner.

My real damage was the tires didn't hold and in fact got washed down stream (second time in 4 yrs).
The theory is a good one, but instead of screwing them together with deck screws, they should have been bolted together. One would think that once filled with rock, gravel and dirt, that they would hold....

It did exactly what it was designed to do as long as the water pressure is pushing in, but in my case, I was having a problem with the water bottle necking in one spot near the end of the bend which allowed the current to deposit rock, gravel which created a natural dam which slowed the water flow which allowed for more deposit.... you get the picture. Problem is nothing was able to keep the water from peeling the tire layers upwards exposing soil washing washing it out and so on...

Now we are talking about this nice dry wash turning into the raging Colorado rapids that can wash rock slabs the size of a car hood 6" thick down stream, I've actually heard and seen it.

Attachment 2418

The pic doesn't really convey how much water is really flowing, but here is a pic showing how deep it really is... (this part washed back a good 6 feet) this is finished restoration.

Attachment 2419

As you can see we are talking about its 6-8 feet deep dry. I also eliminated the island that was causing the bottle neck and opened up the area to allow for free flowing water.

The biggest problem is I have 2 washes converging together just before my property acting like a pressure washer. The water was washing out the dirt at the base of the embankment so I gave into the one thing I know will work.... concreting the bottom 4' along the bottom and seeding the top half. I figure that creating a shell from the creek bed up will be the only way I will keep the bank from washing out. About 50'... 4' high... (37) 80# bags of cement utilizing the water from the creek and a wheel borrow... 14 hrs worth of labor and I have this.

Attachment 2420