Thread: Effect of the Internet on Crafting

Effect of the Internet on Crafting

Has anyone learned a craft like knitting or crocheting by watching videos or other instructions on the internet? It is a lot more convenient to learn and to find patterns these days. My wife taught herself to knit by watching videos on YouTube and has found most of her patterns she has used on the net. Have you ever learned a craft from instructions on the internet?

Yes, I learned quilting and got some really good ideas for easy quilts and quilting for decoration; headboards and wall hangings. Also, I sew a lot and got some tips for making different collars and tailoring my jackets.

I haven't done quilting or knitting but I find new craft ideas all the time online. I usually start looking for something around September or October so I can get ideas of what to make for Christmas. I did watch a video on how to make the flannel blankets that are tied or knotted and it helped me a lot.

I have been able to learn new stitches in cross-stitching from reading about them online. I have also been able to sell some product online. I also can find wood craft patterns a lot easier now that they are all over on the internet. No more running to the store to find something new to make.

I think the internet has been quite a boost to the crafting community as it's much easier to sell your items online and you could have a steadier income by doing so rather than relying on church bazaars and craft fairs. I haven't learned any new crafts online as I just can't seem to find the time to add anymore projects to my full plate.

Yeah, my wife is buying off of Etsy all of the time. It's a great place to find hand made crafts. She does a lot of our Christmas shopping there as we prefer to give hand made crafts instead of commercially made products.

I've used several different how to videos to learn how to make different crafts from the internet. I think it has made it much easier for people who may not have tried some things before to learn how to do them. You don't have to buy a book or video anymore to learn how to do certain crafts. Now you can simply go online and find a great amount of free material to help you learn.

I have been trying to learn how to crochet by watching some great internet videos I have found. I even found some great patterns now I just have to find the time to get to it.