Thread: My basement pond

My basement pond

So we decided to do some digging in our basement to be able to put some drainage pipes in. We have a high water table so it's like I have a few little ponds down there. What I'm wondering is, should we run some perforated pipe to get this water to the sump pit while we dig? It's getting difficult to dig. We are only digging down 1 ft and are leaving about 1 ft around the perimeter as to not disturb the stone walls that have been sitting on the soil 4' down for over 100 years. The walls are straight. Should we use a pump instead and pump the water to the sump. How do these construction guys keep the water out of the areas they are digging when they start a building? Sometimes I see these huge ponds during a development.

All over the USA and plan overseas when I retire
    I think there are times when they attempt to keep the water out but it does not always happen as planned. I am no pro when it comes to this either but I would like to know the answer since we are thinking of putting a mini pond out back.

ok. since I'm not having much luck on getting too much info on my basement woes. I'll try one more question. Mainly these questions are geared to people that had to deal with foundations and french drains etc. If I have a stone foundation and no footings from way back when they didn't do footings. When I do my drainage system I keep hearing that an internal drainage system that some suggest drilling a hole in the footing or block as to let the water pressure off from under the foundation but I have stone all the way to the ground, I assume I don't have to be doing this right? We are leaving 2 feet away from each wall untouched and then 2" of clean gravel then drainage pipe going around the perimeter but also as a spider web all going towards the sump then covering the drainage pipes with more gravel, a vapour barrier and then cement. Should I use filter fabric around the pipes and what is this pressure they are talking about that I have to release? I'll try to take some photos as I go.