Thread: Cedar Trees Dying

Cedar Trees Dying

I have 6 acres in Kentucky and have quite a few cedar trees in the woods and many are pretty good size, going 15 to 20 ft. tall. In the past couple of weeks I've noticed several of the larger ones and many of the smaller ones turning brown and look as if they are dying. I haven't heard of any blight or pests here in Kentucky. I've checked and don't see any apparent pests around. Has anyone heard of a problem that's causing cedar trees to turn brown?

I googled this for you and found this - (I'm no arborist!)
    "The combination of LONG wet winters and summer drought spells has been creating poor conditions for the native cedars. They prefer damp, cool weather most of the year, with major rainfall in the fall, winter and spring their roots are smothered in H2O and decline, when the summer weather hits and we get 2 or more months of dry and hot weather the roots cannot recover because of lack of moisture. The common symptoms seem to be the upper third or more of the canopy of the cedars and birches dying off over a couple of years or less". There's lots more info too if you hunt around.........good luck!
    Ian M.
    Transferred to Nova Scotia, retired at the end of June 2009!!! And bought a tractor!!!