Thread: Anyone off the grid?

Anyone off the grid?

We're thinking about going solar for our electric energy needs. We live in the southeast and we have sun most days of the year. I was quoted about $15,000 for my manufactured home and the deep well. There are no financial incentives here, so this is just for us.

We had a couple homes in our area go solar back in the 70's but it really wasn't something that caught on then. I really haven't looked into it too much to see what the conversion rates are in our area.

I have a 5K PV system on my roof. It cost me $40K. At the current rates for electricity, it'll pay for itself in about 5 yrs. It also helps keep the house cooler. The house is in SoCal (farm is in Missouri, yea.... I know ... that's a long walk in from the pasture.) I'm tied to the grid & use it as my battery bank. Much cheaper that way... no battery maint.

I think if you can swing it financially, it would be something you would really feel good about doing in the long run. I would like to convert my home, so I try to keep pace with the current state of the technology and costs involved.

I am not on solar but have many neighbors that are. I do run my well system off of solar.

You have to keep in mind that solar is not maintenance free. You will have to make regular checks of batteries and replace batteries after a period of time. Also there are several types of inverters. The thing that changes DC to AC and some applicances work well with on type and don't the other. I had to pay the same to have power run to my house as it would have cost for solar. I chose to go on grid.

Attachment 2609We have a 6kw grid tied system. Thus, our utility company (PG&E) is our "battery bank." Previously, our electric bill averaged about $300/mo. Now, averaged over 12 months, our bill is $0, and sometimes they pay us. As the cost of electricity goes up (and it will everywhere over the next many years) our payback will only increase. If we find ways to conserve, I have no doubt we will be able to power a future electric car with our current system. IMHO, people who see solar as "too expensive" are short sighted. That said, I must admit, PG&E has some of the highest rates in the country. If you live where there is lots of hydro power and cheap rates, you are the exception, and that changes the equation.
    Steward of the Forest

Quote Originally Posted by MtnHam View Post
    Attachment 2609We have a 6kw grid tied system. Thus, our utility company (PG&E) is our "battery bank." Previously, our electric bill averaged about $300/mo. Now, averaged over 12 months, our bill is $0, and sometimes they pay us. As the cost of electricity goes up (and it will everywhere over the next many years) our payback will only increase. If we find ways to conserve, I have no doubt we will be able to power a future electric car with our current system. IMHO, people who see solar as "too expensive" are short sighted. That said, I must admit, PG&E has some of the highest rates in the country. If you live where there is lots of hydro power and cheap rates, you are the exception, and that changes the equation.
    MtnHam, how did you go about setting up a grid tied system and what was your initial cost? We have some acreage and would like to go off grid as much as possible. Did the electric company help you get everything wired up properly or did you do it yourself? Don't know much about this stuff, even with growing up on a farm, I've been spoiled with always having to rely on the power co. with the occasional bad weather wood stove and generator backup.

Sounds good. Perhaps I'll do the same some day. I was checking out a web site and thought it of interest. Don't know if it will help.
    Home - Simple Solar Homesteading

Good luck,
    shoes too tight