Thread: Putting in a pond

Putting in a pond

I've priced having a pond dug and was shocked at the cost. Didn't our forefathers dig ponds themselves? And those ponds weren't fed by wells. It should only be a matter of digging on the flow, lining with rocks and gravel and letting it fill up, right? Some help please.

My Dad tried to build a pond when I was younger by simply digging out a hole and putting some rocks and gravel in, but it didn't work out so well for us. It would fill up for a day or so, then drain right back out somehow. We asked around and had some people look at it. There is a hole in the ground where the water just drains away, like someone pulled the plug in the bathtub. They told us it was probably a wet spring and for it to hold water we would have to have someone put in a pond liner. So now we simply have a big hole in our front yard.

I am not sure how that works. Maybe you could have someone come out and tell you where to put it and then dig it yourself. The only pond I want is going to be a small fish pond that is decorative so mine will be lined.