Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feral Cats Driving Me Nuts

Feral Cats Driving Me Nuts

I have a bunch of feral cats living in the woods around my house. I have tried to discourage them from coming to my yard by having a couple of Rotties but they still insist on pushing the envelope and my patience by stalking our songbirds and killing my chickens. I've taken to using a gun but I am still overrun. Any ideas?

Oh wow, I've never shot a cat and I can't say that I would. Can't you call the local animal control to come and get them? We have stray cats here too but they don't bother us too much. Our dog scares them I think. We also have 2 indoor cats.

Here you go, Roustabout. What you do with them after they are caught is made much easier. Live Traps, 1 Small Size & 1 Medium Size - 5132129 | Tractor Supply Company
    AbO 2012

In the early '50s, when I was just a kid, dad & I both shot a few feral cats. Back then there was no such thing as animal control out in the country where we lived, so we really didn't have much choice. But now, I wouldn't want to shoot one; didn't like doing it even when I was a kid. Of course we're in town now, so it's illegal to discharge a firearm, and we do have animal control. So a couple of years ago, we had a problem with a white stray cat, and in Sept. '08, we borrowed a hav-a-hart trap from the city; had to give them a $50 check as a deposit which they did not cash, but returned when we gave the trap back. Using a sardine for bait, we first caught a gray cat that they came and picked up, so I reset the trap and caught the white one I was after, and let them pick up the trap and cat at the same time.

You got two choices. Shoot em or feed em. Catching some of them is possible but those things have little chance of ever being pets and animal control if there is one is just gonna kill em anyway. I put them in the same category as snakes and coyotes. If they don't bother me or my animals I just let them be. If they cause trouble they have to go.

Yeah, we don't have a lot of animal control in my neck of the woods. They are starting to multiply like crazy too. I don't necessarily like the idea of killing them but they have to be controlled some way. I can't just let them overrun my property which is up a hollow away from everyone and everything. I wouldn't mind live trapping them but our local animal shelter just takes dogs and these cats are not ever likely to become anyone's pet. They are completely wild and will attack if cornered and can do a LOT of damage beside the fact that you would have to go to the doctor and get antibiotics and rabies injections. Not good.

Yesterday's newspaper reported that two rabid cats were found in town about six miles north of our place. Spay, neuter or put 'em down. Got to be one or the other.
    AbO 2012

I am not a promoter of killing any animal but you have to protect what is yours. Feral cats can cause a lot of damage, get into a lot of mischeif and kill livestock. When a cat runs wild it reverts back to the basic survival instincts of its ancestors. It sounds like your problem may be too big for live trapping. You may have to resort to shooting them.

Live trap + .22 pistol = controlled shoot.
    AbO 2012

We have the same problem at our house - at last count I was aware of 13 feral cats that roam our property. My husband was able to shoot 3 of them, but there are still 10 of them out there. We used to have 6 tame barn cats, but now we're down to 4 because these nasty cats killed 2 of them. I am really mad about that. My husband didn't want to shoot them at first either, but they did enough damage around the barn and shed and then with 2 of our cats getting killed he said enough is enough. If everyone would spay or neuter their pets we wouldn't be having this problem.