Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feral Cats Driving Me Nuts

Add one more, Tabitha. "If everyone would spay or neuter their pets and stop dropping them off out in the country we wouldn't be having this problem".
    AbO 2012

Yea, you're right about that. I know that's where they came from in the first place. Our area is a dumping ground for cats and even dogs.

Tuna fish (in the can) and anti freeze (not the pet safe kind either). Pour out the water and replace with a bit of anti freeze, effective if you can keep ANY critter you DO want to keep away from it.
    No fun, change the rules!!!

They have overrun us too. I don't want to shot them but they are endangering my pet cats and my other animals on the place. The ducks have already fallen prey to the feral cats and we are currently trying to keep them from overrunning the barn. It's a shame but they have to go.

Wanderer, go back to post #9.
    AbO 2012

Gosh, I know what you mean! We have some here in my neighborhood. We were seeing a couple of them and then my neighbor felt sorry for them and started putting food out for them. Now we have so many, it's ridiculous! And my poor little dog has had fleas so bad this year! I know it is because of those cats. I am doing my best to get him treated, but it doesn't help, because he has to go outside to do his business, and they jump right back on him.

I used live traps to catch the feral cats in my neighborhood. I was able to find a non profit that would fix them for free. Then I would just release them again. It took me a good while to get them all but after that they became less and less of a problem as nature took its course. Occasionally a new one will show up that I will have to get fixed.

Well, I don't think we are going to have trouble with feral cats much longer. The neighbors and I have been doing what WeldingIsFun suggested in post #9. I don't like doing it but I can't afford for all of my farm animals to be exposed to rabies. Can you imagine a rabid goat? Geez-I don't even want to think about how much damage they have already inflicted on my kitchen garden by digging and eliminating in the soil there. The parasites are rampant in the population we have around my area.

Nuisance animals, we all have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Roustabout View Post
    They are starting to multiply like crazy too. . Not good.
    You probably have one of those neighbors that thinks they should feed the poor things.
    There is a grocery store a few miles from here where stray cats accumulate because someone dumps several pounds of cat food there every week. They feel the animals will die if they don't get fed. The unfortunate truth is that they may, but if they are all drawn to a common place and fed then they will multiply at exponentinal rates. When this happens the local authorities must spend our tax dollars to care for these animals for a predetermined period and then euthanize them. Sometimes the costs for this are quite high as the animals may need treatment and then neutering. If you think it through you'll have to agree that a quick and painless end is probably the best way for the most people.
    If you decide to do this you must remember that it is against the law in a lot of places. Dispensing with a feral cat might seem like the correct thing to do, that can be argued, but getting charged and convicted with animal cruelty will probably get your name in the paper at the very least and will be with you for a long time.
    Definetly something to consider...
    On the other hand, most states have provisions for predators that threaten livestock. Either way, a nuisance animal should be dispatched quickly and disposed of properly. If only to protect yourself.