Thread: Scythe?

Scythe?

Has anyone every used a long handled scythe? It's been several years (think decades) since I've used one but I still have the one I used when I was a teen. I think it would be much more effective than the weedeater for weeds that are chest high. I am just wondering if I can still use the thing. I have it sharpened and ready but I've given myself a break because we have temps in the 90's right now. Has anyone else ever used one?

Yes, I've used one, but not in the last 55 years. And I have no plans to ever use one again.

Want to hear something silly? I tried to buy one when I bought my property. I went to the local tools shed and priced one. The owner told me "We don 't sell nothin like that to no woman". Do they think I'll go on a rampage or that I'll amputate a leg?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverVeil View Post
    Want to hear something silly? I tried to buy one when I bought my property. I went to the local tools shed and priced one. The owner told me "We don 't sell nothin like that to no woman". Do they think I'll go on a rampage or that I'll amputate a leg?
    If he sells them, I would have expected him to sell them to anyone with the money.

No, I've never used one and truth be told, I'd be terrified to do it. The thought of me using one and one of my children running up behind me. Terrifying.

mountainmama, you have to make sure no one is in the vicinity. I have always worn heavy leather cowboy boots and it has saved me many times over from a whole lot of things. bird-yeah, it's probably been that long for me too but I'm going to give it a try. I can't get the young'uns to do anything like that for me. My grandson was always raised in town and he's a pure D city boy. He has no idea about anything like this and runs from bees and wasps. I despair for the younger generation!

My Grandad used to use one when I was a kid and that was a few days ago. He carried a sharpening stone in his coverall pocket. My Dad inherited it and it rested under his porch until he passed away last fall. Now my son has it but it's just for looks.

I use to use one to cut wheat we were growing to feed our horses. I would cut and the wife would gather. That's been about 8 years ago. No more horses since I had to put down my Appaloosa mare, she had been my partner for 32 years, my dad and I broke her when I was in High School, I got her at 18 moths of age.

After having to put her down I just couldn't get into working with another horse.

I used one way back when we lived in the Ozarks. We were clearing a path down to the catfish pond. At 15 it was fun, but now? I don't know.