Thread: Garage Door Leak?

Garage Door Leak?

We have an older garage door that leaks at the bottom and I'm trying to figure out a way to fix this problem to keep water from getting in under the door. It's caused us some problems. Does anyone know of a good way to fix this?

Doesn't it have a rubber "gasket" along the bottom that's supposed to seal? And is the garage floor an inch or so higher than the apron (assuming there is an apron)? Those two things are what have always kept water out of my garages.

I'm not really sure, there is a rubber piece at the bottom but it may be the apron you are talking about. It is torn in places though and doesn't keep water out. I was looking for a way to replace that or another way to prevent water from leaking in.

The "apron" I was talking about is the concrete just outside the door; usually a couple of feet wide and the length of the garage door. It should be slightly lower than the garage floor. And the rubber along the bottom of the door should be relatively easy to replace. Open the door and look at it to see if it isn't just held on with screws. It's been a long time since I had to work on one, so I can't say for sure, but I would expect Home Depot and Lowes to have those.

Okay, thanks. I'll look into finding a new rubber piece for the bottom then. That sounds fairly simple to take care of and I'm doubting it will be very expensive. Thanks for the help!

I didn't even check Lowes, but I see that Home Depot calls it a "Garage Door Bottom Seal".
    Search Results for garage door bottom seal

Wow, thanks! That makes things much easier and is very cheap too! That looks like exactly what I need to take care of this problem. I think I was thinking about it too hard and looked right past the simple fix.