Thread: Lumber vs Forest

Lumber vs Forest

I bought land which was halfpine forest. The surrounding properties and local towns were beautiful. This year, however, everyone seems to be cutting down their attached forests. It looks like we're going to be the only green spot in the county. They're replanting with 10 year pines but with all the negative effects of deforestation, is the profit worth it?

Profit worth it? To the owner of the timber, yeah probably. LOL. Our township was considering a "Clear cutting" ordinance because some landowner had cut and sold the timber on his property. Evidently, the neighbors said they "didn't like the way it looked!" So the township was going to pass a law that said you could only cut a certain percentage each year. Luckily, everyone saw the futility and unfairness of that and it didn't go anywhere.

It's interesting how people are perfectly willing to impose their will on others without any consequences for themselves. If you want to keep the neighbor's property forested, then buy it from him.

No offense meant. I just remember why I moved my family here from the city -- green not concrete. And all the natural problems that occur when the rainy season hits and there are no trees. I mean hundreds of acres stripped at a time. Oh well, opinions are like navels, everyone has one.

Luckily, everyone saw the futility and unfairness of that and it didn't go anywhere.
    I believe in letting people do what they want with the property they own. I know that can get sticky if someone decides to put in a junk yard, put a bunch of pigs at the property line next to their neighbor's house or something like that, but cutting their own trees? Come on! It's not good to clear-cut, but I think the neighbors were overstepping their bounds.