Thread: Looking for a good summer read

Looking for a good summer read

I'm looking for a good book to sink my teeth into and I'm just stumped. I tend to like historical fiction or books centered around social issues. Any recommendations?

I can recommend a good fiction author but fair warning once you start her books you are going to want to get and read every one of them. Diana Gabaldon. The first book is Outlander, I believe there are seven books in all. Try checking the first one out in the library and see if you like her.

once you start her books you are going to want to get and read every one of them
    That's the way I am about Patrick F. McManus books. Of course I suppose you may have had to grow up hunting, fishing, camping, etc. to really appreciate his humor. I have 10 of his books. I've read all of them, but am re-reading them since it's been over 20 years since I read the first couple.

I second the Gabaldon series. She's excellent. Thanks for the McManus author. I've read out Kathy Reichs, an anthropologist who is currently an MD. She reworks some of her cases.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm heading over to the library this week so I can so do some perusing. It looks like they have quite a few of the Diana Gabaldon series.

I read The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls. That would get your blood going on social issues. I've also been directed to The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I believe it takes place in the 50s and is about the "help" in the south during that decade, but have not read it because it's always checked out.