Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching The Next Generation

Teaching The Next Generation

I was always raised in the country and I have a lot of skills that I know the younger generation doesn't have. I've been trying to teach my kids and grandkids these skills (such as cutting wood). I really think they should know how to do a lot of these things before I'm gone but they aren't interested. Should I try to find people outside of the family to teach? I really want to pass these skills because they are disappearing from our society. I've been thinking about contacting the local historical society and seeing if they have people who want to learn some of these skills. What do you think?

My daughter knows how to cut wood (we do that) she also knows a lot of other skills. She is interested in them. I think I would stick with your family and just teach them, but that is just my opinion. It's a shame that people don't want to learn these things anymore.

I think that's a great idea. Try a 4-H club or your local Y. Especially during a summer break, you can start a camp. That might be too ambitious but you get the idea. I did that with my grand children and it did grow to include children of acquaintances. It's something that could catch on.

We go to my dad's quite frequently, he has 90 acres so he does a lot of stuff like that. My girls are a bit too young right now to be cutting wood but he does teach them other skills they need to have. My dad taught me growing up as well.

I love your idea Roustabout. I would look into your local recreation center or nearest library as well. Who knows, maybe there are young people out there who are interested in learning these skills. You have the right idea to in wanting to pass these skills along. We cut wood all summer long as a kid, I didn't like it then, but as I grew older I realized the value of hard, physical labor and pulling your own weight.

I think it is a great idea Roustabout and if your family isn't interested then you should certainly try and find others who are. There may come a time when a lot of people wish they knew how to do a whole bunch of stuff "the old fashioned way".

I think that there could be many organizations interested in your skills. Along with 4-H groups, you might contact any local reenactment groups that might need to teach the members skills to help them play their parts.

I also say 'go for it'. There are sure to be some families that are interested in what you have to offer. Along with the other suggestions, I would recommend checking with local libraries. They often are looking for teachers of unique classes that they can offer the community.

I would love it if someone taught me that stuff, so there has got to be someone else who would like that too.
    I try to learn it be reading. Although I am not the average guy(I like working with horses and old tractors, like cars from before the 40's, and hit-and-miss and steam engines) but I can't be the only one.
    Looknlearn

I don't quite understand the not interested part. I didn't enjoy a lot of the chores that came with growing up on a farm, but it wasn't optional. This is what needs to be done and this is how you need to do it...now go do it! That's the way I was raised. I'm all for offering to teach others in your community, I just don't think your family should have the choice to opt out. Especially the kids.