Thread: Need opinion for a log barn demolition

Need opinion for a log barn demolition

First of all, hello to everybody from Grey County, Ontario, Canada. It's my first post here and I'm an avid outdoor person. So, with my family, we decided and finally bought a farm in Grey County, close to Durham. It was, is and will be a lot of work, but in baby steps we'll do what we planed.
    The first step for which I wish to ask you for any opinion/sugestion is a demolishion mission. There are on property an old barn and a house made of logs without foundation and roofs, so we want to get rid of these. I contacted firefighters and proposed to do a drill on this, and burned down, but they refused said is to old and unsecure, so I'm planing to a atraditional demolition. I received some quotes for this job, but the cost scare me and seems not to many interested in this kind of job. Based on this I'm planing to do it myself by renting equipment.
    I attached some pictures to give you an idea and I appreciate any sugestion/recommendation/opinion about this in term of equipment required, procedure, tips and trics also a source to rent the equipment. Wish to mention that I don't have any experience with this kind of job or heavy equipment but willing to learn

Thank you.
    Floyd

Not to much activity here, but if I started I'll finish the post, so the ruins are history now; all are buried in the ground. The damage was 2000$. I attached some pictures, so we are thinking at the next project: pond, cottage, etc.
    During the demolition we found inside the barn a nest with two turkey eagles, quite intimidated birds for my kids, and now we have to take care of them.

All the best to everybody.

I realize this is an old thread and rogerius didnt get any help and hasn't been around for over a month, I wish I had seen this earlier.
    Sorry you didn't get a response.....
    I'm surprised you paid someone 2k to do that. The money would have made a down payment on a nice tractor that you are going to need anyway... speaking of tractors, I'd like to suggest you visit this site, TractorByNet.com | Compact Tractors | John Deere, Kubota, New Holland. The same guy who runs this, runs that site, or he did last time I checked.
    There is lots of valuable information there someone like you could really use. Everyone or almost everyone is very helpful and very friendly, like this site only busier and more varied.
    It seems like you said you burried the wood? Why didn't you use it for something? Like firewood maybe? Would have made a decent chicken coop or fence wood.
    Anyway I hope you are well and revisit this site or TBN in the near future.
    Best of luck
    RB

I would've taken the time and did it myself. It might have taken a lot longer, but it would've saved me a bunch of money.

Hi Rogerius,

I just bought a country property in Grey county too, and need to demolish a few shack-type buildings on it. Can you please let me know who you used to do the demolition of your log-barn for $2K? That would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rogerius View Post
    First of all, hello to everybody from Grey County, Ontario, Canada. It's my first post here and I'm an avid outdoor person. So, with my family, we decided and finally bought a farm in Grey County, close to Durham. It was, is and will be a lot of work, but in baby steps we'll do what we planed.
    The first step for which I wish to ask you for any opinion/sugestion is a demolishion mission. There are on property an old barn and a house made of logs without foundation and roofs, so we want to get rid of these. I contacted firefighters and proposed to do a drill on this, and burned down, but they refused said is to old and unsecure, so I'm planing to a atraditional demolition. I received some quotes for this job, but the cost scare me and seems not to many interested in this kind of job. Based on this I'm planing to do it myself by renting equipment.
    I attached some pictures to give you an idea and I appreciate any sugestion/recommendation/opinion about this in term of equipment required, procedure, tips and trics also a source to rent the equipment. Wish to mention that I don't have any experience with this kind of job or heavy equipment but willing to learn

Thank you.
    Floyd

Administrator
    Ooh what a lush green area... Thanks for those pictures.