Thread: Keeping our dog cool

Keeping our dog cool

We spray our dog down with cool water when it gets really hot outside. We also always put out a fresh bowl of ice water for her. She loves to be outside all day with us. What are some other ways we can keep her cool?

We always set up a kiddie pool for the dog and he loves it. You know those blow-up ones with 2 or 3 rings, maybe a foot deep max? No punctures yet!
    Ian M.
    Transferred to Nova Scotia, retired at the end of June 2009!!! And bought a tractor!!!

Those small hard plastic kiddie pools are great for dogs, that way you never have to worry about it puncturing a hole in any part of it. We always set one up for our dogs outside and they absolutely love it. Some of our dogs like to play in the sprinkler too if we set it up to water the grass or for the kids to play in.

My little guys stay in the house so they are happy. As long as I have air conditioning, they have air conditioning. But if it ever goes out all of the animals and I are in major trouble! But I guess we could go to the neighbors house. My cats prefer to be outside though for some strange reason.

Ours have a pond. They go out and jump in if they get too hot. They like to go hunting too, back in the woods. They have occasionally brought home parts of a deer carcass or two but they had to already have been dead because they were already breaking down. I take them away of course but then the dogs have to have baths because they stink.

We keep out dog in the woods just off from the house. There is a hard pool for him to stand in when it gets really hot. He's one of those breeds that digs. The hole he's in now covers him to his ears when he backs in.

Our bunch stays in the house with us too. But if they go out, I make sure they have plenty of cool or iced water and usually I just let them stay out for a little while. As long as a dog is used to being outside they should be fine with plenty of shade and water.

I got my dog one of the kiddie pools too. He loves jumping in the water to cool off. I put the pool by the shade so he can lay in that and make sure he has plenty of water as well.