Thread: Koi Farm?

Koi Farm?

Has anyone thought of raising koi fish for the pet market? I have several ponds on the farm and I would love to do something besides water the local wildlife with them. I have a feeling they would do well here. We have a few goldfish that we turned loose in our pond several years ago and they are enormous. Aren't koi in the goldfish family? These ponds are not connected to the local groundwater system so they should be safe to raise them in.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont
    Koi are basically fancy goldfish, so they should do well if the goldfish did. It might be a good idea, but you have to have a market. Check out local petshops and garden centers and see if they would be interested in buying koi. That would certainly be an interesting niche farm market.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

That sounds like it would not only be fun and rewarding but profitable as well. I would rather buy fish from someone on a farm than at the store where you don't know where they come from.

If you are willing to get into the market of shipping the fish yourself you could probably do well with an online business. That along with sales to area pet shops could prove to be quite lucrative