Thread: Storms Ruining Corn Crops

Storms Ruining Corn Crops

We have had so many thunderstorms this spring with high damaging winds. Many of the corn crops are leaning or already completely mowed down. Anyone else seeing crops hurt by this springs storms?

So far we're having an average spring/summer as far as weather. It's pretty darn hot and we've had some heavy pop up storms, but the rain and wind usually passes before it causes much damage. The season is still young though. I'm just praying for a hurricane free summer here.

I haven't had the problems with storms, it's the heat that is affecting my garden. I have to water it every night. We have been under heat advisories all week long and they say there is more heat on the way.

Yeah, we have. We have had two flash floods in 2 and a half months and it is taking everyone's gardens out. I really am sad to see all of that work go to waste. Even some of the tobacco bases have been ruined.

My garden was underwater for 2-3 weeks after I planted it and a lot of the seeds either vanished or rotted. I needed to dig a diversion ditch to re-route the yard runoff around the garden. Not much garden left for this year.
    Ian M.
    Transferred to Nova Scotia, retired at the end of June 2009!!! And bought a tractor!!!