Thread: Waterproofing Deck

Waterproofing Deck

I just built a new deck and am ready to do the waterproofing. I have checked some of the different products available but this is the first time I have done this. Are there any particular waterproofers that stand out above the others?

I used Sherwin-Williams Deckscape last Fall and have been well pleased with it so far.

We used Sikkens the first time around and we didn't feel is was "as advertised". This last summer we totally stripped and sanded our deck down to bare wood and used Sherwin-Williams Deckscapes. We stained our cedar siding with S-W Woodscapes several years ago.

Bud, when I bought this place, there was an unopened gallon can of Sikkens Cetol DEK in the garage. Apparently that had been used on the deck in the past. I used that gallon and bought another gallon ($50). It looked good but didn't last as long as I thought it should. But when I was going to buy more, I found they don't make that formula anymore. So I tried the Sherwin-Williams Deckscape and it repels water better; it's water based instead of oil based, so it's easier to clean up afterwards, and it's faster and easier to apply with brush or roller. And it only cost $30 a gallon. I wondered about applying it over the Sikkens, but the Sherwin-Willams salesman told me to apply it to a small area, wait a week, then cut it cross hatch with a box knife, press tape down on it, pull the tape off and see if it pulled any of the Deckscape up. He said if it did, he'd refund my purchase price. It didn't, so I'll probably stay with Sherwin-Williams in the future.