Thread: Potatoes

Potatoes

Last year we didn't have a lot of luck with potatoes in our garden. Half of them were rotten, so it seemed like a big waste of time and land. Potates take up a lot of garden space too. Do you plant them? Have you had good luck with them?

I have about twelve potato plants in my garden. They seem to be doing pretty well so far. They grew really fast and now I am just waiting until the tops start to yellow so I can harvest them.

I'd be interested in planting potatoes, but I think the ground here is probably much too soggy. How many potatoes do you get per plant?

Two years ago I planted white and red potatoes. They worked fine but last year I got almost nothing. So I tried sweet potatoes. They did really well, so this year I'm going to try about a dozen a piece. The firs year I put them in partial shade under about 6" of pine straw. Last year I didn't do that. The sweets I planted in full sun like the rest of the veggies and they did fine.

For me, the key to a good potato crop is starting with good seed potatoes every season. I plant them in a sloped raised bed I made. They do well with a soil pH of 6.0 to 6.5 and sometimes I add a little rock phosphate and granite dust.

We plant potatoes that have eyes on them (when we don't eat them). We don't plant any potato seed. That could be why we aren't having such good luck. I hope ours grow this year and they are not rotten.

Our potatoes this year so far as looking great. I accidentally pulled one up when I was weeding last night. It was a small potato with no signs of being rotten. I hate buying potatoes in the store, you never know what you will get.