Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growing organically

Growing organically

We grow our garden organically and sell produce at a farmers market and have for years. We believe organic growing produces better, healthier food. Does anyone else grow organically?

We try, but the bugs around here are atrocious and we can't seem to get away from pesticides. We keep trying different ways to thwart the insects, but so far nothing has worked. Gotta love the deep south

I grow some vegetables organically. I also always buy at a farmers market. The one we have here is wonderful because everyone in the community tries to support the organic food at the farmers market.

I never went to the trouble to get certified as an organic gardener and sold almost nothing anyway; however, I used no insecticides in my garden and no commercial fertilizer. I had such a big garden that I grew plenty for us and the bugs.

I don't grow organically, but I eat organically as much as I can. The food just tastes better and fresher, especially the tomatoes. When my soil is ready, that's the way I'm going.

All over the USA and plan overseas when I retire
    My sister in law really wants to get into this and since she is cutting her hours down (at some point soon to start having babies we hope) and she is in CA she should have all the "big city" advantages. For her the issue is trusting the places that are telling her the stuff, how and where do you learn from?

Crystal, does your sister-in-law want to get into organic gardening just for herself, or does she want to sell certified organically grown produce? If it's just for your personal use, you can probably learn all you need to learn from agricultural colleges. In Texas that would be Texas A&M Welcome to Organic Lifestyles!. If you want to sell produce as certified organic, then I think the United States Department of Agriculture would be the best source: http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/nop However, there are plenty of other sources, also.

Some of those resources could be financial reimbursements and assistance also if you qualify but you might want to check soon as some have date restrictions.

we grow completely organic. Not certified. We also sell produce at a small stand out front and do a couple CSA's.
    We eat almost completely out of the garden in the summer and also can vegetables for the winter.

We grow some vegetables and fruits organically but those are for our own food. I love to grow our own food as it's the only way to make sure that what we eat is really healthy.