Thread: Anybody from Tennessee?

Anybody from Tennessee?

Is there anybody here from Tennessee? My husband and I were talking about moving there, but we have no idea where to begin. All we know is we're not picky about where in the state we move, as long as it is not near any major metropolitan areas. We're planning to take a trip there in the spring to scope out possible locations, but it's such a big state if anybody could suggest good towns or areas that would be great

Where are you moving from ? And you probably need to say more about what you're looking for; how big of a place, what activites do you like, will you be looking for a job, what kind of job, are you concerned about local property taxes, medical facilites in the area, schools or colleges, restaurants, entertainment facilities, etc. I've never lived in Tennessee, but have sure driven across it many, many times in the last 43 years. There's some beautiful country, some rugged looking country, some good farmland, some places I'd like to try the fishing, some nice state parks, lots of good eating places, etc.

We're moving from Louisiana and we're looking for a pretty rural area. Taxes and medical facilities would be kind of important, but the rest of it (entertainment, schools, etc) is really not. We wouldn't mind being within 30 minutes of a larger town, but we don't want to be IN a large town or near a city.

We'd be looking for a small property - about 10 acres give or take a few. The job thing is up in the air so we have some freedom there. I work from home so that isn't a concern and my husband works in the pipeline industry. We can move to Tennessee and he could stay with the same company he is with now or he could look for something more local. Really all we're trying to do at this point is narrow down four or five different parts of the state to visit and feel out.

Oh, and being near some good lakes or streams for fishing is on my husband's "must have" list And I think we'd like an area that has some mountains or rolling hills or just anything that isn't flat as a pancake like southern Louisiana.

Since I've never lived in Tennessee, you want to get your information from someone else, but I've always thought I'd like to live in the Cookeville, TN, area. I used to have a fellow working for me who had bought 11 acres on the south side of I-40 just east of Cookeville. He said it was just barely in sight of the Interstate and he planned to retire there. But it's been so many years since I've seen him that I don't know whether he did that or not. But when passing through, we've spent many a night in Cookeville; plenty of motels and plenty of good eating places.

All over the USA and plan overseas when I retire
    I have only had the chance to visit Tennessee once but I do have a few friends from there, all areas are good if you know what you are looking for. Bird is right about that, the information is the key. What type of place do you live in now and where would you (ideally) like to be?

Cookeville, ok. Thanks - I'll look into that. I've driven through Tennessee several times, but never really stopped and stayed anywhere that's why I'm kind of shooting in the dark here. I chose Tennessee because I like everything I've seen when driving through. And also because we have family in the northeast and family in south central - Tennessee will put us more in the middle than we are right now.

Right now we have about 5 acres in the swamp. A couple of horses, a couple of donkeys, and some gardens that don't always survive the mud around here. That's what we're sick of the most, the mud. And we're sinking. I'd be shocked if our current home is still standing in 20 years. We're barely above sea level here and it just such a pain in the butt.