Thread: Deep freeze

Deep freeze

We are thinking about purchasing a deep freeze so we can get more into the side of preparing meals early on, freezing and then having ready made type meals. What is a good price for one?

I don't know what would be a good price for one, but neither will anyone else unless you tell them whether you want an upright or a chest type, frost free or not, and approximate size. I've owned both in more than one size. The chest type is more efficient (and probably cheaper to buy) and you can pile more in there, but it's awkward getting to things in the bottom under everything else. An upright makes it easier to find everything on the shelves. I prefer a frost free so it doesn't have to be defrosted, but of course that means your food has to be better sealed to prevent freezer burn. The last two I bought, one chest type and then an upright came from Sears and if I were going to buy another, that's probably where I'd get it.

What is a deep freeze? Is it a freezer? We have a upright freezer in the basement and the fridge/freezer upstairs. We freeze a ton of food every season. I like to buy things on sale and freeze them for future use. Have you hunted around? I would check Sears or Lowe's or even Craiglist for a good used one.

Yep, Pinkie, when I was a kid, a freezer was something you made ice cream with and a deep freeze was where you stored your frozen meats. And ours usually had nothing but meats because all the fruits and vegetable were canned.

I really do not think getting into it would be an issue we seem to have room for both types but price and the quickness of having it here ASAP is the biggie. I do not have a Sears close to me but I do have a HHGreg and a few others I am thinking of checking out this coming weekend, just not sure what is a good price compared to a bad one.

I don't know of a good price either, I am sure it depends on how big it is. I am going to be looking at one soon too, I want a smaller one that I can stick in the kitchen. I have one of those side by side fridges and the freezer is way too small!

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    Yep, Pinkie, when I was a kid, a freezer was something you made ice cream with and a deep freeze was where you stored your frozen meats. And ours usually had nothing but meats because all the fruits and vegetable were canned.
    This made me chuckle. My parents still use some of the 'old terms' when referring to freezers and refrigerators. I constantly have to tell my kids, 'when grandma says 'ice box' she's talking about the refrigerator'.LOL