Thread: "Home maker"

All over the USA and plan overseas when I retire

"Home maker"

I wonder why people are so confused when I tell them that I am a home maker but I also work from home? It should not really be that confusing, should it? I mean if you can work on a laptop on the beach somewhere, why not from home too, what is so difficult to understand about it?

I think there is a general lack of knowledge about working from home. Where I live it is the boon docks. Not a lot of people around here even have internet access. I don't think it would cross their mind someone makes money that way.

lol! I would love to work from home. I envy you! I would love to be able to throw in laundry and get it done during the day. I don't see why they don't understand that you work from home? What is so hard about that? Tons of people do it every day!

Yes, it is hard to imagine in this 'techno' day and age that anyone would be surprised about using the computer to work from home. I would be more surprised if a person didn't say 'hey, how can I do that'?

I have the same problem, Crystal. What irritates me the most is that people who don't understand that I have a job to do during the day just like anybody else are constantly interrupting me. I have friends who call and call and I refuse to answer. Then when I talk to them later they act all offended that I didn't answer the phone. I was w-o-r-k-i-n-g. I've been working from home for over a year and a half and I wonder when people are going to start to get it.

My husband always tells me I don't have a "real job" because I work from home. It is very exasperating when people don't understand that you actually are working even if it is from home. I just tell them I do customer service and don't usually say it's from home.

This is also true with just plain homemakers who aren't doing their work for pay. People who are homeschooling, taking care of the house, cooking, running errands etc. are still busy people who usually have a list of things that they are trying to accomplish on any given day, but, as you say CarrieAnn, people don't seem to want to acknowledge (or care) that they don't always have time to be gabbing on the phone!

Yeah, just tell them you are a maker! That will confuse them, then when they ask all the things you make you can give them a nice long list and that tends to make people get the picture. Hah.