Thread: Nation's oldest farm being sold

Nation's oldest farm being sold

I thought this was such a sad story. The oldest operating farm in the country is being sold. They have been continuously operating for over 300 years, since 1632. Such a shame to see things like this happen.

Nation's oldest family farm up for sale - UPI.com

Gosh, I hate to hear that. I hope some land developer doesn't buy it and put houses on it. That would be a crying shame. There are fewer and fewer farmers all of the time. If we aren't careful, no one is going to be growing anything soon in the US.

I read that the farm is protected from being developed after the sale, so it can't be turned into a housing development. That's good.

It's going to be interesting to find out who buys it. I've heard that big corporation farming operations have bought many family farms.

Yea, you're right, outdoors Joe - it can't be bought by a developer. It's just sad that the family feels that they have to give it up. I would be devastated if I had to sell something so precious that had been in my family for hundreds of years. I hope if a larger farming corporation buys it they treat it with the respect that it deserves.

I hate to hear that. It's a shame that a farming family can't compete in these times. What will happen to the nation's food supply if the corporation farms decide to run up the food prices? We will all be in a deep well of hurt if that happens.

The end of more then a couple of era's. If another family of farmers were to buy it, that would be ideal. Reminds me of that song "Rain on a scarecrow"