Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amish

Amish

Any of you guys live in Amish country? I find their lifestyle very intriguing. To be able to live and work the way they have for years is quite admirable. - don't know if I could do it but it has a sort of romantic, idyllic feel about it.

There are two large communities of Amish close to where I live. I feel the same way, I find there life very intriguing, and they are a very admirable people. I have had interactions with them and find the Amish to be a very kind, and God fearing people. I really dislike how the day to day communities around them try to exploit their lifestyle to attract tourism. As a group they are very private people and I think the world would be a better place if we all would have the humility, and simplicity that the Amish live for everyday. I dont think that you have to live without electricity, vehicles, and other modern conviences to be a simple person. I think that it comes down to family values and morals that are the basis for a better life and a better community. The Amish work hard and do not look for handouts, and shy away from the things that are not essential to survival. Life is not easy and is not as convenient as we make it to be.
    There was a severe ice storm that came through the area last winter leaving most people without power for up to a month, everyone was scrambling for food, and electricity, and fuel, myself included. I found myself wondering if the Amish community even noticed anything more than a few fallen trees and ice on the ground. It has really changed my way of thinking, and made me realize how vulnerable we as Americans are. I have made a move for a more self sustainable lifestyle. I dont think that means you have to cut power to your home and put up an outhouse, but a simple garden and a attempt to purchase more locally grown fruits and vegitables is a great start.

I too admire the Amish greatly. We have a community near us and they are very honest and hardworking people. There are quite a few young men who have chosen to work in the community but they do shun the conveniences most of us expect every day. There are three brothers that work with a local carpenter and you better believe what they build is built to last.

I used to live in Pennsylvania and spent quite a bit of time in Lancaster where there is a big Amish population. It used to irritate me to no end when they would be driving their horse driven carriages down the road and people would be honking at them like they were an interference.

Also, on the perimeter fences to their farms they had signs posted asking tourists to respect their beliefs and their privacy and to please not take photographs of them because it is against their beliefs. What would you see? Several cars full of tourists taking pictures of the signs and then of the Amish working in their fields, like they were a bunch of circus animals. Even though it goes against the core of their being, whenever I saw that I always secretly wished that one of them would have enough and come to the fence and beat the crap out of the ignorants.

I have never been in Amish country or really understand their ways, don't they ride on horses and not use electricity? I like the idea of everyone working together but I have to have electricity, especially the A/C.

I went and visited Amish country last year. I was amazed! We don't have any Amish near us. I know I couldn't live that way- without my cell phone? Forget it. I do think it's pretty neat though. I wonder how many Amish kids stay Amish or how many don't.

Does anyone remember that reality tv show about a group of young adult Amish that were brought to a large city and made to live with a group of typical American youth? If I am remembering correctly, after the 6 or 7 weeks of being with the 'regular' kids, a couple of the Amish youth were beginning to question the way they were raised and considering not going back to their Amish communities.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw593 View Post
    I dont think that you have to live without electricity, vehicles, and other modern conviences to be a simple person. I think that it comes down to family values and morals that are the basis for a better life and a better community. The Amish work hard and do not look for handouts, and shy away from the things that are not essential to survival.
    That's a great way of putting it. I think that that is one of the things that so draws me about their lifestyle - not using more than necessary to have a pleasant, liveable life combined with high morals and a concern for community.

My mother was born Amish but left that community when she was 20. One of my clearest memories was at my aunts house eating homemade ice cream on their front porch with all my Amish cousins, and then about 2 days later contracting appendicitis. I have to wonder if it was the molasses they put in it for sweetener that elevated the sugar level in my body. They're good people, the Amish.

We have an Amish community not too far from us. They're very nice people. We have to be careful when driving. The highways are curvy and the speed limit is 55, but if you get behind the carriages after coming around a curve, it's sometimes hard to slow down for them. I just don't drive as fast as I used to.