Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Idea, Will it Work?

Lightbulb Crazy Idea, Will it Work?

This is out in left field but justa thought.......
    I have just put in a driveway to my farm and I need something to tie all the rock together. The driveway has been constructed using bigger rock with a dense grade on top of that. For the most part the driveay is fine and is packed down well. There are certain places that are getting the washboard effect, mainly in the curves and on the inclines. I have thought about lime and all that but had an idea the other day and was wodering if it would be worth trying.
    Saw Dust.
    Would it fill in the voids between the rock? If so it isnt as powdery as lime and may control the "gravel dust" associated with gravel driveways. I have used it in my gravel floor barns and it packs in the rocks over time and thought since alot of places basically give the stuff away it might just work......
    Be interested in everybodys thoughts on this subject.

Awaiting replies.....

If you put the sawdust down wouldn't it float away when it rained? I know my dad gets those little, tiny pebbles to fill in between the bigger rocks and such and it holds up pretty good against the weather.

Ive got the dense grade on top of the bigger rock, around here the only other thing used is lime which makes it almost like concrete but it to will wash away and it costs $$... The sawdust is free...

The sawdust might work better than you think. The particles are bigger than lime and with the gravel to help hold it in place, it might not wash away as quickly as the lime.

After it rains, I believe the sawdust will settle into the rock before it blows away. Try to mix some bigger wood chips in it as well if you can.

Use crushed concrete or concrete washout. I like the crushed concrete as it packs hard as concrete and is all crushed small, making it easy to grade level and smooth. Concrete washout is what is washed out of the cement trucks. It packs hard also, but you can get lots of big chunks. Which are easy to break into smaller rocks.
    hugs, Brandi

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont
    I think that it's likely that sawdust would quickly decompose.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

It might work. When you get saw dust wet you can make a sort of goo with it. We use saw dust when we plaster to fill in the holes. It may take trial and error but it really might work.

Sawdust?

I could see where it might work but it depends on where you live and how level the drive is and what kind of dirt you have underneath. I don't think it would hurt to try some on a test strip and give it a year to see what happens. One thing is for sure, once you put it down it's going to be difficult to get it back up should you decide it is a mistake.

Wouldn't it just compost/decompose? ...or float away in a rain or blow away in the wind?

Shale can be put on in large size chunks but will rapidly break up into finer and finer pieces which pack into the spaces between rocks. I use shale without rocks and get terrific service and only add a little every 5 years or so.

Crusher run with fines or "chat" with fines (crushed limestone with all the dust left in from the crusher run) will get into the spaces between larger rocks and ends up almost like concrete.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"