Thread: Cost of home schooling

Cost of home schooling

For those of you who home school, I'm curious about the cost of doing so. Is it terribly expensive to buy all the books, guides, and teaching tools that you need? Would you say it works out to be about the same as private school tuition or less?

Less. If you use a home school program that is approved as a public charter school then you get all of the supplies for free and there is no charge. You also get a computer to use and reimbursement for internet.

For some people it can be more expensive depending on where they buy their materials from. Many home school groups let you sell used materials to other members of the groups so getting used books at a discount price is always a possibility.

Just depends on how you do it but there is a ton of approved curriculum on the internet and swapping or selling used books is always a possibility as well as some of the others mentioned.

It's a lot cheaper than a private school. There are so many resources on line that can help you get started and stay on course.

In some states there is a week where there is a tax discount on school supplies. This is for all kinds of schooling including home schooling. Stores also run sales, if you need supplies this is the time to stock up.

Instead of a week, it's a weekend in Texas. This year it will be August 20, 21, & 22. And if you'd like to see what can be bought without paying sales tax those days, you can go to Sales Tax Holiday (98-490)

Awesome information, everyone - thank you We have that where I live too, Bird - a whole tax free weekend.

Gardenia - I'm going to look into it to see if we can get a program that reimburses. That would be wonderful!

I can't speak for anyone else, but I know where I live the public schools are so disgraceful that if they don't clean up their acts home schooling will be the way of the future around here.