Thread: Cost of a new well?

Cost of a new well?

My parents are ready to put in a new well but they are afraid it will cost a lot of money. Right now they get there water from some natural spring but it keeps drying up. How much is it to put in a well?

Depends on how deep they have to drill and what they run into. 4 years ago, my new well was $3800, went down 120 feet, and they had to pack around the well casing with gravel.
    Ian M.
    Transferred to Nova Scotia, retired at the end of June 2009!!! And bought a tractor!!!

Too much unknown. Well drilling varies by location and by what type of casing you need. It also depends on if you just have them drill the well or you want them to do a complete package with pumps and pressure tanks. The only way to get any kind of realistic estimate is to call a local well driller and ask. Around here it is about $22 a foot for the first 300 and then $26 for any thing over 300ft. Plus you need 40 ft of steel casing at the top and then pvc casing to the bottom of the well.

My last well was $7000 just for the well no pumps. It is 300ft.

Some places people dig what I call shallow wells at less than 100ft That is way to shallow for me and risk too much contamination from ground water. But if you are drinking out of a spring now i guess it does not matter. Lots of wells around go well over 400ft and many as much as 600ft.