Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dragonflies

Dragonflies

I've been seeing a large abundance of dragon flies in people's yards, at the park, etc. My mother says that when you see dragon flies, even if it isn't around a body of water, that that means there is a snake nearby. Has anyone heard of this old wives tale before and is there any truth in it?

Nope, never heard of that before. I don't see too many dragon flies in the area. I see a lot of them at my house (my wife collects them- of course they aren't real though). I wonder if it's true about the snakes.

Not to sure either. I know that the dragon fly population is dependent on local lakes and ponds. Dragon fly larva live in the mud of the lakes and ponds. We take the kids out with a big net to drudge lakes to see what we can find. If we find lots of large larva then we know there will be lots of dragonflys next year.

I have never heard that before either. I love seeing dragonflies and I haven't seen that many this year for some reason. I have a bunch of different photos of them that I took.

We used to live across the road from a Corps of Engineers lake property, although the water was about a quarter mile from us. We would periodically have huge swarms of dragonflies in the yard. I never heard of that indicating a snake was in the area, but dragonflies supposedly eat mosquitoes so I was glad to have them around.

I'm glad to hear about them eating mosquitoes. Do you know if there is a way to attract dragon flies? If mosquitoes are one of their favorite foods, I would love to get a truck load of 'dragon fly-nip' or whatever they like so they can take up residence here at my house!

Do you know if there is a way to attract dragon flies?
    I have no idea how to attract them or why they came and went when they did at our place.

We have them by the thousands this year. We live on a creek and have a few ponds too, I enjoy seeing them around to eat the mosquitoes.
    We live in Southern Missouri FYI

I have seen loads of them this year. The closest body of water is probably 1/4 mile away, but they are all over my 5 acres. Just flying over the ground. We had a lot of rain a week or so ago and with that comes the mosquitos, so it's good to have the Dragon Flies to bring that population down.

I have never heard of the snake theory, but I do have lots of black snakes nearby, so maybe it's true

I also heard that they only live for 24 hours, but I proved that wrong when it took me two days to finally get one to land on a broom so I could let him out of my screen room. He was tired and hungry, but still alive.

Swarms of them will skim over our driveway. Maybe they think it's a body of water. Never heard the snake hypothesis.