Thread: Attic fan

Attic fan

Does anyone have any experience installing an attic fan? My husband and I want to try and install one but we are wondering if we need some professional help?

What kind of attic fan? I guess I'm not sure what you mean. I would think since you won't be in the attic a lot to check on it you might want someone who has done one before to put yours in too? Just in case there are fire hazards or something with attic fans.

Attic fans by their design are big and heavy at least the ones I have seen. You need to be sure that the frame that you mount it in is solid and can handle the weight and the vibration. If the frame is not solid to the rafters the thing is going to make a lot of noise. You will probably need to add bracing to the rafters where it is mounted. Other than that it is just a straight forward install of a fan depending on how and where you run the wires to the switch.

I would be sure and wire it to a dedicated circuit rated for what ever the fan requires probably at least 20amp and maybe even 30 if it is a big fan.

Jim's right - proper mounting is really important. I was in a house a few years ago that had a loose attic fan and the noise was terrible. I don't know how the people lived with it like that. It would have driven me insane.

Thanks guys and especially Jim. We have an electrician/carpenter friend and I think he is going to come over and help us out. Our last house had one and we really missed having one.