Thread: Emptied pool

Emptied pool

We had to empty our pool last night and clean it out today. It was a mess! We could not get the water to turn clear for anything. We tried shocking it and using algaecide but nothing worked.

That sounds like a real pain in the butt. I'm surprised the chemicals didn't work. I've seen pool water that looked worse than swamp water in the spring and a few days of shocking and it would go back to normal. Did you get the water tested before you emptied it?

We did the same about 2 weeks ago and then guess what? It's been to chilly to swim in it. It was a waste I swear. Has your pool stayed clear this time? Have you gotten much use out of it since you emptied and refilled? I know some other people that could not get the water to turn clear too and had to do the same thing.

I was just wondering, has you PH level been correct. If PH is high add acid (muriatic acid). If PH is low add sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). Sometimes if the PH is too high it will result in cloudy water. Another cause is inadequate filtration (run the pump longer or the filter is dirty). Water temp today in Texas is 86 degrees.

Don's right. Don't even try to do anything with the water unless you have a test kit. Alternately, you have to take a sample to the pool supply place and have them test it.

We took our water to the pool store and they couldn't really help us. I mean we added what they said to do and backflushed it and everything, it just did not turn back. It was weird. I think we are going to winterize it soon.

I hope you folks are talking about above ground pools. In ground pools can turn into boats if you drain them while having ground water around them. In the summer if your in a rainy climate, ground water is a normal occurrence.
    Here in Florida, most pool supply stores will test your water for free in order to sell you the chemicals you need to bring it back to normal. I have seen pools that were so green that shocking and filtering was a three day job. Shock, turn on the pump, the filter plugs up in about three minutes, you backwash it or hose it off if it's a cartridge type then repeat the process.

Best thing to do is never let them get that way. It's real costly and time consuming to get them back to swim-able condition.